Twenty Fifteen in Review

Sunday, January 3

Hiia!
This post is really for myself, I want to be able to look back and remember what happened this year, so that when I'm old and have a bad memory I can ask my grandchildren to load this up for me, because lets be honest, I'm sure I won't be able to use whatever new technology will be around.

January
This was the month that I started this blog. This little place on the internet that I can call my own. I decided that I was going to make this little place for myself, and so, on the 26th of January, I wrote my first blog post. I'm so happy that this wasn't one of those things that I gave up on a couple months in!
I also started my winter semester of my third year of my undergrad, which kept me quite busy. It was this month that I was applying to do an honours degree in my fourth year.
January was also the first time I cut my hair short since 2012. It was a big change for me, but I really enjoyed the length that it was.

February
February also seemed a little lacking in excitement. I got accepted to complete and honours degree in my fourth year of my undergrad, and was able to work with the professor I hoped to work with!  We also had a week off this month called 'reading week' (basically spring break). It was during this week that I went for my first eye checkup in a long time. I was having a hard time seeing small writing on the screens in my classes, so I thought while I was off for a week I would check my eyesight out!

March
My partner's 21st birthday was in the beginning of March, so we celebrated that (21st isn't as big in Canada as we can legally drink at 19). This was also the month that my eyesight got better! Yep, I needed glasses! It was so much easier reading the board once I had glasses! It was a weird adjustment at first, but overall I'm so glad I got them.

Another thing I'd like to remember about this month is coming home to find this in my room:

My partner and I typically drive to and from University together, since we both still live with our parents. This day I had to stay late for a class, so I got a ride with a friend. When I got home, this was waiting for me in my room. While he is not the most romantic person on a daily basis, there are times when he lets his romantic side shine!

April
April started off with Easter, which was wonderful - I'll never complain about chocolate!

This was also the month of winter exams for my third year. I wrote four exams that semester. In hindsight, exams took up most of this month which is why I don't have much to remember here.

May
Third year of my undergrad was complete. This month was full of lazing around and not doing anything because classes were finished!

This was also the month that my partner started work for his honours degree. I was asked to help him one day and I wanted to write that here to remember! We went out at 8:30 in the morning to a wooded area that he had already picked out with his professor. We had to crawl through the trees and brush to find a good spot to set up a station to collect data. I want to remember that there were SO many bugs, and I was sure that I was going to have a tick on me at the end of the day (We did have ticks, but we were able to brush them off our clothing before they attached to our skin - thank goodness).

At the end of the month was an annual celebration in our town (which everyone uses as an excuse to drink). My partner and I took it easy this year, and watched the fireworks and went to the parade, but no partying for us. It was nice to be able to watch the parade without feeling gross from drinking too much the night before!

June
My partner and I celebrated three years together in the beginning of June. It feels like time is going so quickly, but it also feels like we've been together for much longer than three years!

The most exciting thing about this month was that I got my first car! My parents upgraded their car, as they needed a new one to get them to and from work, so I received their old one. It needed a lot of work, which my parents helped me with. I am very grateful that they put the time and effort in to helping me!

June was also the month that I did my first outfit post on here. I was super nervous because I don't have the most flattering figure, but I felt comfortable with myself enough to post a few photos from the trip to the beach


July
Canada day (the 1st) I took my sister and our partners to the beach to celebrate! We spent the afternoon finding wood for our bonfire, looking for beach glass, cooking hotdogs and s'mores on the fire and waiting for the fireworks to happen when it finally got dark! It was a great time!

My partner and I also spent a lot of this month house sitting for a family member. Since they have a pool we spent a lot of time swimming and just being together. It was weird being together in a house with just the two of us - almost like living together in our own house. It was a nice feeling. Hopefully we'll be able to live together sooner than we think we will. 
We also spent a lot of time with friends this month. I went on my first boat ride and even got to go tubing from a boat too!

One of the most exciting things, probably of the year, was travelling to PEI for the first time. My family has never been one for travelling, so when my partner's family decided that they wanted to go for a weekend, I was so excited that I was able to tag along and experience the island's beauty! I got to try cows ice cream and see the red clay sand. It was amazing!


August
Most of August was spent house sitting, swimming, playing games, and hanging out with friends.
From the first sentence, it seems as though this month would be great, and it really was for the most part. I was however having a lot of wisdom tooth pain, which often kept me up at night. If I wasn't crying myself to sleep, I was awake taking pain medication, alternating between ice packs and hot water bottles and just trying to get some sleep. I remember one night while we were house sitting it was so bad that I couldn't sleep at all, so by 2:30 in the morning I got out of bed, to not disturb my partner and went into the living room and watched tv for the rest of the morning until my mouth felt well enough that I could try to get some sleep. It got bad enough that I was able to get an emergency checkup at the dentist which then led to a referral to my wisdom teeth them removed surgically. I was put on a waitlist to have them removed so until that time I kept with the pain medication routine.


I also want to remember that the summer was also spent doing a lot of reading for my honours degree. I must have read almost 100 articles and that wasn't all the reading that had to be done.

September
The beginning of September was the time for my wisdom teeth removal. Fourth year of university had started on the 2nd and I had my teeth removed on the 3rd. It was such a surreal feeling, as I remember most of the procedure. I was very nervous for the IV needle, and my heart was beating very fast at first. Once that part was over I was feeling a lot less anxious (probably from whatever was in the IV). After I got them out, my partner drove me home and The Weekend's 'I Can't Feel My Face' came on the radio, it was very fitting and I laughed with my numb gauze-filled mouth.
wisdom teeth removal

My mouth was in pain for the first little while, but the medication definitely helped a lot. That and ice cream were my saviours!
ice cream

I also joined a psychology organization starting in my fourth year of my undergrad (Since I'm a psychology major)  All of the members I consider good friends, so it was exciting to be involved in something new before I graduated!
This organization held events, like BBQ's and help sessions in university that I helped and attended. It helped build some public speaking qualities that I didn't think I would ever have!
This was also the first month that I drove into an hour and a half into a big city in my province! I've been there many times before and could tell you how to get there from the passenger's seat, but I've never driven there myself. It was scary, but I am so glad I was able to do it!

September was also the month that my partner and his mom got a new kitten! He is the most adorable and mischievous little thing I have ever seen, but I love him to pieces. He loves to play, but he also has moments when he wants to be cuddled and those moments are my favourite!
kitten

October
I turned 22 this month! My family and partner went out for chinese for my birthday, which was lovely! This was also the year that my partner got my my first ipsy subscription! I'm loving it so far!

October was also the month that we went to two corn mazes,  saw the Ed Sheehan documentary movie, tried a new pizzeria and also tried apple cider slushies. All were amazing!
Pizzacorn maze


This was also the first month I went to the dentist for regular checkups. Since the wisdom teeth issue, I realized that this was the year I needed to keep up with my teeth!

It was this month that my little baby cousin was born! He is such a little sweetie and even though he is tiny, every time I see him he keeps growing and growing! I can't wait until he can walk and talk and I can play with him!

This was also the first year I carved my own pumpkin! I've carved them before with my sister, and also with my partner, but I've never gutted the pumpkin myself because I hate the insides of pumpkins. This year I did it all myself, and carved up a little kitty pumpkin


Halloween this year was also very fun! We went to a couple house parties with some friends and then headed to a local bar. I went as a flamingo, which I thought was really creative, and my partner went as a contestant on the price is right!
Halloween costumes

November
More dentists trips happened in November to get some cavities filled, but my teeth are all fixed up now! All thats left is my cleanings every six months! I'm so proud that I was able to finally go to the dentist without feeling super anxious and scared!
November was also the month that I finally got to hang out with some close girlfriends of mine. They left for school over a year ago, and finally moved back home after graduating in June. November was the first chance that we were all free, and it was so nice to catch up with them again!
At the end of November was when I decided that I would be participating in blogmas this year. I thought it would be hard work, but I underestimated how much work would go into posting every day for a month! I starting planning what I wanted to post and what day it would go live, and in between all that planning I started studying for my exams!

December
We were decorated for Christmas at the beginning of the month! 
My partner and his mom also got their second kitty! She is so fluffy, but very independent. She doesn't need cuddles like their other does. 
Kitty

Then I spent the first two weeks studying and writing exams. Once those we over I had officially finished my last fall semester of my undergrad degree! Only one semester left before graduation! Once exams were over my partner and I were invited to an ugly sweater party to celebrate classes being over. It was nice to see everyone, and the ugly christmas sweaters were awesome too! 

My sister and I spent a few days before Christmas baking and wrapping presents, and then my partner and I had our annual tradition of watching 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas'.
This was the first year that my partner and I spent both Christmas eve and Christmas with both my side and his side of our families. It was a lot of travelling and we ate a lot of food but it was the best Christmas I've had! I loved spending time with both sides of our families! 
Turtle Cookie



I also want to remember the onesie present problem. Since we spent Christmas eve with my partner's family, they always get pyjamas from their grandmother to wear that evening. My partner, being the sweetie that he is, bought me pyjamas so that I wouldn't be left out that evening. When it was time for me to open my pyjamas, it was not the correct present, and instead was another present that I was meant to open Christmas day. It wasn't a big deal for me, but he was quite upset that he gave me the wrong present to open. Then came Christmas day. We spent the mornings with our own families, but we always exchange our presents to each other while we're together, so I wasn't opening his presents until he arrived. My partner messaged me saying that there had been yet another mix up and his dad had opened his present which turned out to be my pyjamas. It was quite funny for me, but my partner was again, quite upset. Once I finally got to open the correct present I was so excited: An eyesore onesie! It's my favourite gift I've received in a long time, and I wear it all the time!

New Years eve was the next thing we celebrated. We spent the evening bowling with my partners cousins. I was horrible at it, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. After we finished bowling we went back to my partner's grandmothers with all the family and played games until it was time to ring in the new year!
NYE Selfie


When I think back on this year, I can remember all the big moments, like having my first car, going to PEI and having a new little cousin, but there is so much more that I want to remember that I just had to write this post. I want to remember being left flowers for no particular reason, hanging out with friends during the summer, eating ice cream until I thought my stomach would explode, and all the other little moments that made up 2015. 


I have lots to look forward to in the coming year, and I'm so excited to share it here, even if it's just for me to look back on!


How was your 2015?





4 comments:

  1. Loved reading through your year! It sounds like it was a pretty great one :) Also, I love the new layout :)

    Renee | Lose the Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a great year. I also love reflecting on the year as the year ends. It's just a lovely way to appreciate life. Have an even greater 2016!

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope 2016 is great to you too!
      Xx

      Delete