I feel old...

Monday, July 13

Okay, this post is going to be a little different but I just need to get some thoughts out and this is my little place to do it, so I apologize in advance if this is not the typical post I normally do.

I am at the age where marriage and child bearing is a normal part of life. Some people are mature enough and ready to start their families in their twenties and thats perfectly fine. I've been seeing friends from high school post engagements and baby announcements left and right, and I'm generally happy for each and every one of them, but this announcement just hit home in a way I've never experienced before: 

I found out tonight that my childhood best friend got engaged to her boyfriend, and I just don't know how to feel. We were practically inseparable when we were younger, and I remember the countless phone calls when we were in elementary school, asking what we each ate for supper that night. I remember when we went a whole summer picking strawberries and we'd have to get up at 5am to do it all morning, and then go home for lunch just to go back at it in the afternoon. I remember being split up in middle school because we didn't have the same classes, and then every summer we'd always come back together and hangout. I remember when her family first set up their pool and we'd spend countless hours splashing about in it, and setting up her tent and camping out overnight, but by the time the morning came it was too hot, so we'd sneak into the house and sleep in her basement. I remember going through a HUGE phase where we were obsessed with the Jonas Brothers and we did silly things like writing poems and songs for them and making silly videos because we thought we would be cool like them. I remember getting ready for most of the high school dances with her and our other best friend, and I remember talking about all the boys with her. I remember when her family got their first puppy, and she was the cutest thing I'd ever seen and I remember talking about prom with her just three years ago and talking about the dresses we'd be buying. 

Recently we haven't talked much, and social media is generally the only communication we have together. With the both of us going to universities in different places, it makes seeing one another difficult. Seeing her get engaged has me over the moon for her, but it also makes me miss the childhood things we used to do together. I never imagined this would spring up so soon, but it has. I'm so happy for her, but at the same time, I'd love to go back a few years and just relive some of those moments we had together.

I guess, I just feel old, and it's the weirdest feeling I've ever experienced in my life to date.  



Have you ever felt this way before? 


2 comments:

  1. I feel a little bit this way too, Amanda. I'm only 23 and nearly everyone in my grade at school was younger than me by a year but so many of them have kids now. Obviously they haven't had them in the most ideal circumstances and none of their relationships with the fathers seem to work out, but it's still a weird feeling to see them be so ahead of me in that aspect of life.

    I mostly feel old when I think about how my baby cousins are graduating high school in a year! That's just too weird because I still feel 16.

    Erin | Being Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean, sister is a five years younger than me, and she just turned 16 and is starting to drive!
      Thanks for commenting, it's nice to know that other people feel this way too !

      Xx

      Delete