Needle Phobia

Tuesday, March 3

Hiia!
Last week in my Fun Facts Friday post, I mentioned that I am pretty certain that I have a phobia of needles. I've mentioned what happens after I get the needle, but I figure this post is going to be a little more detailed about what happens. 
From a course I took on Abnormal Psychology, it was brought to my attention that this phobia is one of the more prevalent phobias for many people in the world, which makes me feel much better about how my body reacts when put in a situation where I need to get a needle. 

This is just my personal experience, and although I don't know the whole science behind what happens to me, as I've never talked to someone who has experienced the same things that I do after getting the needle. I feel like these things that I experience act as a positive punishment 
(Psych reference: it basically means that these things I experience make it so that I do not want to get other needles) 
I have some ideas of these things and will try to explain them so that if anyone else has this problem, they know that they are not alone!

Note: I'd like to point out, that yes, I have gotten a tattoo, and yes, I know they're needles.

Tattoo needles are far less scary than injectable ones!! 



 In the week leading up to getting a needle: 
- I get nervous, and a little panicky. If someone mentions the needle, I'll dismiss it so that I don't need to talk about it as it makes me feel squeamish. 

The day of the needle:
- I get very anxious, my heart beat increases, and I'm pretty sure I get high blood pressure and feel more panicky than the whole week leading up to this point
- When it is time to get the needle, my heart is racing, but I don't cry or panic, I just tend to deal with the racing heart and high blood pressure

Directly after the needle: 
- I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but a while ago, when a tv channel would go out it would leave your tv with this horrible static sound. Well, that would happen inside my ears, to the point where I couldn't hear the people around me talking because the static sound in my head was so loud. 
- After the static sound, I often see black dots and feel very weak, but this is not an allergic reaction to the needle

- What I think this is: I'm not positive on what this could be, but I believe that it is because my blood pressure and blood sugar is so high from the anxiety I feel unto receiving the needle that afterward it drops so rapidly that my body doesn't know how to handle itself. 

Some positive?
Since I am writing this after my fun facts Friday post, I have received that needle I was talking about, and have a more positive experience to tell you about *yaay!*
This time, after thinking that this problem was about my blood sugar and pressure, I decided to take some candy in my pocket to munch on after I got the needle. (Not to mention that my boyfriend came with me to make me feel more comfortable, which also helped!)
This stopped the crazy weird things that I mentioned earlier from happening *again, yaay!*

I'm hoping this will act as a positive reinforcer, so that when I require the booster needle in a month I won't feel as anxious and my panicky feelings will be reduced. *fingers crossed*

Do you have any tips or tricks that help you get through things that make you anxious?
A

4 comments:

  1. Aww, yesterday I had to have an injection and I made the weirdest sound ever (I literally sounded like a guinea pig!). But I just think about how many injections it will save me later on in life if I actually got the illness they were trying to protect me against!

    From Megan
    www.megaaanii.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I always have to tell myself that getting the needle is way better than getting whatever illness it is for!

      Delete
  2. I laughed because I want a tattoo, but I am terrified of getting one cause of the needles. But I am not afraid at all of needles in general, like shots and blood draws...which is a good thing since I have to test my sugar 4x a day. :(
    Just shows everyone has something they're afraid of. I'm afraid of loud noises. I almost go into a panic attack, when near balloons. (especially when little kids play with them!) guns, fireworks, thunder. Just the thought makes me shudder!

    When I get a shot or blood draw, by now I don't even give it a second thought, since I have had so many. I also took med classes that got me more comfortable with needles. But I would suggest counting, maybe going over a song in your head, like find something to focus on other than what is happening. And don't look at the needle, while they are doing their thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would be more scared of getting a tattoo because of my needle phobia. When I went in to get the tattoo I expected to have the same weird things happen, but tattoos are WAY less scary than I thought! *thank goodness*

      Everyone tells me that when they get blood work done regularly that the fear goes away. Since I have type A- blood I'll need to get blood work done every month if I get pregnant, so I'm hoping that i'll get used to them, otherwise I can't see that being a good nine months of my life when it does happen :P

      Xx

      Delete